Migration count between 7am and 2pm with cool temperatures, lots of cloud and some fog in the valley. Surprising for the time of year was the virtual lack of Woodpigeons (~274) and Chaffinches (~717). Red Kites (116) and Buzzards (37) were more normal figures, eight Sparrowhawks , fifteen Kestrels (almost all adult males), two Marsh Harriers and a local Peregrine completed the birds of prey. The stars of the show were ~299 Song Thrushes with the first two or three Redwings and ~247 Woodlarks . Pipits were annoying as it's really not easy to distinguish Meadow and Water on call, I presumed most if not all of the twenty or thirty odd going through were Meadow but Water is a common bird here too. Six Swallows , seven Crossbills , one Linnet , ~22 Hawfinches , ~135 Siskins , two Serins , one Goldfinch and one Reed Bunting added some variety. A male Black Woodpecker gave some nice views in the open as he enjoyed a bit of sunshine Birding Wizard
An early start on the patch to enjoy the time left before the guns arrived. About 50 Corn Buntings left the roost just before 7am. They left in a tight group so it was impossible to count them accurately. A minimum of five Yellow Wagtails that had also roosted in the reeds left at the same time. The 80 or so Mallards that were on site flew off before it got light. Maybe they knew what was coming! Compared to when I started birding at Pagney more than fifteen years ago, the number of hunters has declined considerably and so this morning only seventeen gunshots were heard and the two hopefuls that came to have a look around the place didn't find anything to shoot and moved on. The number of bird species that are still on the quarry list in France is disturbing and far higher than in any other EU country. Species present at Pagney today that risked their lives were: Mallard, Teal, Moo...
Following migrating birds at the Franc-Comtois migration hotspot of Pont-de-Roide has never been (nor ever will be) my favourite activity. Despite this, every Autumn I often spend my Fridays either freezing my arse off or baking under the hot sun counting birds of all shapes and sizes as they pass through. Coordinated counts have taken place here since 2008 and I've helped as and when I can (and feel like it) since 2018. Today was my first visit to "Le Caillou" this season. I admit I had't been very motivated to make the journey this year as many days have been hot and windy under a blanket blue sky - far from ideal conditions. In the end today wasn't too bad for the weather, not extremely hot, very slight wind and a good few clouds in the sky to offer relief from the sun and useful markers to help others get onto the birds. Upon arrival at 7am I almost regretted not waiting another week as there was bugger all seen or h...
Comments
Post a Comment