Pont-de-Roide 11/9/2026

    Following migrating birds at the Franc-Comtois migration hotspot of Pont-de-Roide has never been (nor ever will be) my favourite activity. Despite this, every Autumn I often spend my Fridays either freezing my arse off or baking under the hot sun counting birds of all shapes and sizes as they pass through. Coordinated counts have taken place here since 2008 and I've helped as and when I can (and feel like it) since 2018. 

    Today was my first visit to "Le Caillou" this season. I admit I had't been very motivated to make the journey this year as many days have been hot and windy under a blanket blue sky - far from ideal conditions. In the end today wasn't too bad for the weather, not extremely hot, very slight wind and a good few clouds in the sky to offer relief from the sun and useful markers to help others get onto the birds.


    Upon arrival at 7am I almost regretted not waiting another week as there was bugger all seen or heard for a good long while. Eventually a few Chaffinches and Swallows started to be heard and seen as they flew through and over the fort before plunging into the empty space of the valley ahead. The Swallows turned out to be the day's highlight with a personal tally of 475 - though many more were counted by others. A minimum of eleven Tree Pipits made their presence known with their "bzzzt" calls throughout the day. Surprisingly for the time of year, there was not a single Yellow Wagtail heard or seen. 

    Raptors weren't particularly numerous today, a sprinkling of Marsh Harriers and two Ospreys passed. It seemed that a few Red Kites and Buzzards were also on migration amongst the local birds. Most of the Honey Buzzards and Black Kites are already far away, only seven of the former and two of the latter being noted. I also counted one Sparrowhawk and two Kestrels passing through. A local Peregrine was seen briefly.  

Osprey number one.

    Bee Eaters are a pain in the arse to count as their joyful farting calls are often impossible to locate and one bird can make as much noise as a hundred. Unknown numbers were heard but not seen twice before a nice group of at least seventeen gave themselves up to be counted. 

    The rather paltry show of birds allowed me to look more at the insects which included brown morph Praying Mantis and a Hummingbird Hawk-moth. Butterflies were disappointingly scarce, with one Great Banded Grayling, a Queen of Spain Fritillary, two Red Admirals a few Small Heaths and Common Blues. Several Pieris sp and one Colias sp were left unidentified. Sadly I was unable to find any of the Chalkhill Blues that once frequented the site. 

    So all in all, not a tremendous day out, but not a waste of time either. Still much more pleasant than a kick in the teeth and so I'll be back soon with the other volunteers as we watch the birds leave us to head South. 

I think there's a bird somewhere up there.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pagney 13/9/2026 - Opening of the Hunting Season

Pagney 12/9/2026